Observa-Dome Advantages & Key Features
- All Observa-Dome exposed exterior surfaces are “Aluminum”. Unlike steel, aluminum will not rust. Unlike fiberglass, aluminum is not subject to UV degradation. We have domes in service today that were built over 50 years ago.
- Our dome and base rings are fabricated and welded in section with steel, and not rolled angle or plywood. They are round within a tolerance of 1/8”.
- Our classic Bi-parting shutter design allows for fast closure, and watertight in tropical downpours. The cantilever design shutter tracks are completely enclosed inside the dome, and not exposed to the weather. The tracks utilize permanently lubricated sealed ball bearing V-Groove wheels. Our shutter gear motor is located on the lower shutter track, and no “drip pan” is required.
- Our Intermediate Series dome suspension wheels, with precision ball bearings, utilize a, donut shaped polyurethane tread. This allows for a silent and low friction movement.
- Our friction pneumatic azimuth drive system provides for not only quiet dome rotation, but more importantly, extremely fast slew rates of up to 25 degrees per second can be achieved.
- We are authorized to install and test the “ACE Smart Dome”, computer automation package, at our facility. This is ASCOM compliant, and allows for Observa-Dome control, via the internet or network. This is not a remote door opener. For more information:
- Custom sizes and designs up to 15 Meters in diameter are welcomed.
- In lieu of the fixed base angle ring, a flat roof adapter or matching cylindrical base can be provided. The base cylinder has a commercial steel door and utilizes a steel framework with aluminum exterior panels. No wood is used in the assembly.
- Interior closed cell neoprene insulation where condensation prevention is needed.
- Wide shutter aperture can be provided for up to 40% of the dome diameter.
- Exterior & interior paint can be provided for architectural purposes, or near coastal salt water conditions.
- Double skin and insulated construction, is available for severe environmental conditions. We recently installed an Observa-Dome designed to be operational after 170 mph typhoon conditions. Within months, design winds were recorded on site, and the dome remained intact and fully operational.
- Dome lightning protection is available.
- A Structural Engineering and analysis report is available for specific geographical locations.